Battery Storage - The Basics
Home battery storage systems are now affordable and easily connected to the grid reducing power bills or removing them totally. Batteries work by storing the excess electricity produced by the solar system. The higher your batteries capacity, the more electricity it can store! This stored energy can then be used at night or to power essential appliances during an outage.
In order to make the most of the batteries and solar system, it is best to shift your high energy loads to daylight hours when your solar system is producing enough energy to power the appliances. For example, dishwashers, clothes dryers, washing machines and air conditioners. This is because the systems are designed in such a way that they will use renewable energy first before taking power from the battery.
*Please note that internet connection is essential to allow for regular monitoring of the performance of your system*
On-Grid Battery Storage Systems
Home battery storage systems are now affordable and easily connected to the grid reducing your power bills or removing them totally. Batteries work by converting the DC energy being produced by your solar panels and storing it as AC power for later use. This means that any excess electricity produced by your panels will be stored within the battery. The higher your batteries capacity, the more electricity it can store! This stored energy can then be used at night or to power essential appliances during an outage.
On Grid batteries allow you to store the excess electricity made by your solar system, but also draw from the electricity grid when your solar panels aren’t producing enough electricity. You will only send electricity back to the grid when you have filled your batteries capacity and draw it back when your battery is depleted.
In order to make the most of the batteries and solar system, it is best to shift your high energy loads to daylight hours when your solar system is producing enough energy to power the appliances. For example, dishwashers, clothes dryers, washing machines and air conditioners. This is because the systems are designed in such a way that they will use renewable energy first before taking power from the grid
Off - Grid Battery Storage Systems
Much like On-Grid Batteries, Off-Grid batteries are charged with the excess electricity produced by your solar system. However, Off-Grid systems supply power to properties that are not connected to (rural) or have chosen to disconnect from the public electricity grid.
Once full, the inverter will stop the solar system from recharging the batteries. The battery back will send power to household appliances when the solar system isn't producing electricity like during the night. When the battery is depleted, the inverter will automatically turn on the fuel generator. While the generator is running it will supply power to the house, allowing the battery to recharge.
BATTERY STORAGE SYSTEM BRANDS
The Storion (OF5)
The Storion (OF5) is an intelligent cabinet-based storage system using lithium-iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, which are available in modular 3kWh units. Its built-in hybrid 3kW and 5kW inverters can handle both battery and PV inputs, broadening possible designs, applications and capacity - up to 19.2kWh. (see specifications below). It also comes equipped with an adaptable energy management system (EMS) to maximise energy bill savings according to how the system is set up.
Key product features & benefits:
• Advanced design and functionality at competitive price-point
• Multifunctional, plug-and-play energy storage system for a wide range of applications
• Safe, reliable LiFePO4 batteries from some of the world’s largest battery manufacturers; each battery unit has sophisticated battery management system (BMS) with multi-layered safety protections
• Grid backup functionality allows essential loads to run on solar and/or batteries even when the grid is down.
• Modular battery design – battery capacity can be sized to meet individual needs or for future expansion
• Intelligent EMS (Alpha Cloud) manages prioritisation of solar, grid or batteries depending on availability in order to maximise savings and overall system efficiency
• Programmable Time of Use features allow smart energy control with off-peak charging and peak time discharging
• 5-year product warranty and 10-year battery performance warranty
Smile5 Hybrid Inverter
Self-Sufficient, Modulated Battery, Intelligent Control, Long Service, Elegant Design.
The Smile5 Hybrid Inverter allows you to store your own solar generated energy and make it available day and night. Featuring Modulated Battery design, allowing you to stack up to 6 modules in parallel. It's intelligent management system and cloud service allows you to control your Smile5 System from anywhere. The Smile5 is slim, taking up little space and offering flexibility in installation locations, Indoor or Outdoor, where-ever you want to. Three different colours for different tastes, an integrated cable box with all the isolators wall mounted, no additional isolators needed, saving cost and making the Smile5 truely plug and play, all with a long service life of 20 years!
Soltaro All-in-One Energy Storage System
Soltaro is an Australian owned and operated company the designs and manufactures unique products from the ground up. Their head office is based in Melbourne Australia. Soltaro offers its customers the first of innovative practical solutions as new products are developed.
- Wall Mounted, IP 65 for Indoor and Outdoor Installation.
- Expandable, to grow with you.
- Retrofit seamlessly with installed PV inverters.
- Compact “all-in-one” system.
- Smart Grid, Back-Up, Off/On Grid.
- Intelligent storage management.
- A seamless switchover to keep your power on during an outage.
- The simplicity of use and operation “Plug&Play” Installation.
- Local and remote monitoring.
- Australian Designed and Engineered.