How does solar work?
When purchasing a solar system, it is important to understand how it works and the benefits it can provide. Having this knowledge will allow you to make the most of your solar power and maximise your savings. During your free consultation and site inspection, All Energy HQ’s experienced salesman gauge electricity usage. This enables us to recommend what size system is suitable for your individual needs.
Solar-powered photovoltaic (PV) panels convert the sun's rays into electricity. Electrons vibrate within silicon cells using light photons from the sun. This electricity can then be used to supply renewable energy to your home or business.
The renewable energy is harnessed and passed through an Inverter where it converts the DC current into AC. This is what is used to power your appliances. In addition, the inverter processes the AC electricity through the grid. This notifies your energy supplier that you do not require their electricity because you have your own. If your system is generating excess electricity in the sunlight hours, your energy supplier will purchase that from you; thereby off-setting your evening usage.
No matter where you live, the chances are that you can successfully use solar panels for your electrical needs. We can complete a Solar Analysis of your property to determine the best location of the system. They are rugged and are very durable to extreme climate conditions and the latest panel models are efficient enough to work well without facing directly North. Some will even produce electricity under cloud cover. However, we always recommend facing North to achieve optimum results.
Benefits of Solar Power
Solar Energy is ecologically friendly, renewable and better for our health. Considered one of the most “green” electricity sources, solar is one of the best solutions for problems such as global warming and catastrophic climate change. There is no fear of it running out or harming the environment. With cleaner air and water, we will live longer and healthier lives!
Solar panels have no moving parts and are very simple to use. After being set up properly, they do not need to be maintained and will continue working for many years. In fact, most solar panel manufacturers have 25-year production warranties on their panels.
Decreased Electrical Bill
By switching to solar energy, you will save money and or potentially eliminate your electrical bills every quarter. Even if electricity bills continue rising in the future you will have the peace of mind knowing that your energy source is based on solar power.
Solar Panel Brands
STABILITY The strong background of SINOMACH and the SUMEC GROUPenables Phono Solar to offer a genuine 25-year product warranty. Interdependent business sectors have realised healthy and sustainable development.
RELIABILITY Phono Solar adheres to the highest standards of quality, has rigorous quality control processes, and strives to consistently deliver high quality products.
CREATIVITY At Phono Solar, we strive to continuously innovate our products through R&D and to optimise our business model. We offer both a flexible and experienced service to our customers, ensuring that we always add value.
10 Reasons for choosing Phono Solar
1) Who are Phono Solar?
- Phono Solar is owned by the Sinomach/Sumec Group of companies, Sinomach is a Global Fortune 500 company (293). Phono Solar is the Renewable Energy arm of this diversified manufacturing conglomerate that has been manufacturing for the international market for over 40 years. Now that is experience!
- Over 100,000 employees, with over 140 global offices and over $40 billion in net assets, the business group is truly an international performer.
2) A truly diversified global manufacturer
- Sinomach/Sumec manufacture: agricultural machinery, ships, power tools and equipment, energy infrastructure, civil infrastructure engineering and development, renewable energy, they also have a very substantial finance division. Key business units in Australia are power tools and solar panels.
3) DNV-GL Top Performing Panel in independent 25 year reliability testing
- DNV-GL is an independent long term reliability test, comparing the major panels in the global market. Phono Solar was compared to over 70% of the solar panels sold in the Australian market and DNV-GL gave Phono Solar the rank of “Top Performer”. SolarQuotes.com.au reviewed this independent test and stated that Phono Solar are the best panel for Australians to buy!
4) Third party qualified-exceeding the standard!
5) Phono built for Australia’s harshest conditions
- Phono Solar is approved for installation in the Northern Territory and has been successfully installed in some of Australia’s harshest conditions. Phono Solar is the top performer in DNV-GL “thermal cycle testing” where panels are cooled down to negative 40 degrees Celsius then heated up to positive 85 degrees Celsius. This is repeated 800 times to simulate 25 or more years use in the real world.
- In locations like Alice Springs where there are very hot days followed up by very cold nights or in Melbourne where we can experience three seasons in one day, Phono Solar is a top performing panel for all Australian conditions!
6) Phono have Excellent Panel Yields
- Excellent Temperature Coefficient (the lower the Temperature Coefficient, the better) means high yield can be expected from your Phono Solar installation. This is also confirmed by third party testing internationally and domestically.
- Use of genuine MC4 connectors, IP68 Junction Boxes and high quality solar cell selection process means your project’s yield is assured in the long term.
- Phono Solar has a Temperature Coefficient of -0.40 percent which is better than standard. Therefore Phono Solar panels yield higher in Australia’s harsh weather conditions.
7) Phono is the Engineers Choice
- Due to the quality of build, the experience of the manufacturer and the value proposition, Phono is being specified in more and more large scale projects and has become the engineers choice right here in Australia.
- Phono is the panel of choice for numerous multi MW solar farms across Europe, North America and Asia/Pacific.
8) Phono Solar is a Global Bankable Company
- Phono Solar is regularly listed in BNEF Tier 1 Report of bankable Manufacturers who have completed significant solar installs internationally. Furthermore, Phono Solar is one of very few panel manufactures approved for financing through Verdia (Westpac affiliate finance business for renewables). Phono Solar is reinsured through globally recognised insurers like Chubb and AIG.
9) 12 Year Product and 25 year Performance Warranty
- Phono Solar has a 12 year product warranty when consumers log their warranty with the manufacturer at www.phonosolar.com/care. This is responsible Manufacturer behaviour where Australian clients are encouraged to list every panel serial number installed and get an additional 2 years product warranty (12 years total).
- With over 40 years of experience in managing and supporting after sales service, across hundreds of products distributed globally, this is truly an experienced manufacturing group who really is there for the long term.
10) Secure Products for your Investment
- Phono brings long term manufacturing experience, efficient technology through extensive research and development and rigorous product testing to ensure minimal issues in the field. Insured and registered warranty with reliable after sales service.
- Phono Solar Third Party Certified Testing Centre completes testing of Solar Panels to a minimum of three times the IEC standard (Standard Certification required for panels).
Half Cut Solar Panels: Higher Efficiency & Better Shade Tolerance
Why cut solar cells in half?
Solar cells are cut in half to reduce the cell-to-module losses during assembly. Power loss is generally proportional to the square of the current times resistance. Therefore, when cutting a solar cell in half, the power losses are reduced by a factor of four. As there is currently no specialized third party supply chain of half cut solar cells, the producers of such modules with half cut solar cells have to take care of the cutting step themselves. During production, it involves the additional step of cutting the solar cells with a laser and breaking them in two.
Half cut solar cells and higher efficiency
When the area of a solar cell is cut in half, the amount of electrical current that is carried by each busbar is reduced by half as well. This decrease in electrical resistance within the busbars results in an overall increase in efficiency, especially during times of high irradiance, driven by significantly higher short-circuit current (Isc) and Fill Factor (FF). The actual increase in efficiency per manufacturer varies in the range of 1.5-3% efficiency increase, which is significant.
Half cut cell module design
Cutting solar cells results in half the current, and… double the voltage. Solar modules with double the voltage would be a disadvantage, as the higher string voltage would result in half the amount of modules that can be connected per string to the inverter.
Therefore, most manufacturers adopt the following string layout to produce voltages similar to standard solar modules. Besides half cut solar cells, one trend we clearly see is the increase in the number of busbars. Similar to the use of half cut solar cells, using more busbars reduces the inner electrical resistance.
This decrease in inner resistance is achieved because the distances between the busbars are shorter and less current flows through each smaller electrode where resistance is the highest. Using multiple busbars certainly leads to higher efficiency, and can reduce the effects of cell inherent defects.
2019 PV module Reliability Score Card
LONGI & PHONO SOLAR models in the TOP 10 Performers
LONGI – LR6 – 72PG – xxxM/ & LR6 – 60PB-xxxM
PHONO SOLAR – PS xxxP-24/T/ & PS xxxP-20/U
The Four PVEL Tests
PVEL subjected solar panels to 4 tests:
- Thermal Cycling: Determines the effects of temperature change.
- Damp Heat: How well a solar panel handles hot and humid environments.
- Dynamic Mechanical Load Sequence: How well they handle flexing from wind or snow.
- Potential Induced Degradation: How well they resist deterioration from stray currents.
Manufacturers have to pay for these tests and decide which types of panels they produce undergo which tests. What they can’t do is decide which specific panels get tested. PVEL is very careful to ensure only solar panels made for normal use are selected to prevent companies handing over high quality ring-ins.
Thermal Cycling Testing
Matter expands when heated and contracts when cooled. This happens at different rates to varying materials, putting stressting and strain on joins and connections, potententially damaging and breaking them. To test resistance to this, PVEL shoves panels into a combination freezer/oven, cools them down to -45 degrees, and then heats them up to 40 degrees. This is done 400 times over a month and a half. It’s important for solar panels to do well on this test no matter where they are installed. However, it is especially important for inland Australia where the temperature differential between day and night can be extreme. Top Performers are categorized as those that suffered less than a 2% decline in output.
Damp Heat Testing
It gets hot in Adelaide in the summer, but it’s a dry heat. Places like Darwin and Townsville have damp heat and nobody likes that. Not even solar panels. It’s the sort of environment that can cause the glue holding solar panels together to degrade and — in the case of the cheapest — can cause them to fall apart.
Provided you stay away from cheap and poor quality solar panels, you are not likely to get one that goes to
pieces. In PERC solar panels heat and humidity can cause a type of deterioration in called LeTID. Because of this and because PERC panels are now so common, it has caused the average result on this test to go backwards instead of following the general trend of improving quality.
The good news is there are PERC panels that are resistant to this and some are included among the Top Performers, which All Energy HQ have available for purchase.